Saturday, February 16

Sadly, I See This All the Time Around Here

From Catholic World News:

Priests becoming too worldly, Vatican prelate says

Rome, Feb. 15, 2008 (CWNews.com) - The prefect of the Congregation for Religious has lamented that many Catholic priests are neglecting their duties under the pressure of conforming to secular culture.

In a February 14 interview with the Italian ANSA news agency, Cardinal Franc Rode said that priests today tend to be less obedient to the Church and more responsive to the world. He cited reluctance to wear clerical dress as a symptom of this trend. ...


I see this all the time around where I live. Priests don't wear their clericals in the office (and occasionally not while saying Mass, either). They don't wear them outside the office. They don't live in rectories, instead living in apartments - alone. It is all so different from what I'm used to. Growing up, there was a convent and rectory at my parish. The two parishes I attended in Florida both had rectories where the priests lived together. I saw one priest from our last parish at a car wash in shorts and a T-shirt - the only time I ever saw him wear anything but clericals. It was the first time I'd seen a priest not wearing a collar. I was about 29 or 30 at the time. Now it's more common for me to see them without.

*sigh*

You can read the rest here.





Please browse my eBay items. Thank you.

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin