Wednesday, February 27

Medical Bills

*sigh*


I just got another bill for the emergency hospital stay I had just prior to Christmas, and it was a bit higher than the first one I got, though I do admit that it is better than it would be without insurace. I was shocked to find out that our out-of-pocket maximum had gone up to $3000 per individual/$9000 family! Yikes! Last time I was in the hospital (for Little Girl's birth), it was $1000 individual/$3000 family. So when I got out of the hospital, I thought I'd see what the deal was going to be. Imagine my shock that, despite the rising price of the premiums for the same number of people, we had more to pay out of pocket!! Holy cow!


Anyway, I cried tears of joy when I got my first bill for the CT-scan I needed. $187 after insurance. When we got the next bill, I wanted to cry for other reasons. I had three shots of phenegran in an IV because I couldn't stop vomitting (that it worked should have been a clue that I wasn't pregnant). The first was $150! But each additional was $300. You know that stupid pulse oximeter they stick on your finger? $25. Seriously? And the ER visit - just getting seen - was $450.


Mind you, the insurace paid some of it. They paid a little more than half (though I thought I had an 80/20 plan until I hit the out-of-pocket), so my portion is $569.


I still haven't gotten my bill for the actual hospital room. I can't wait. /sarcasm


I was thinking before Just how bad can it be? Two nights, an NG tube and pump, a popsicle, and two cups of broth. But now I'm not so sure. I think it could be pretty ugly.


We did start the Dave Ramsey plan, though. But I am loathe to touch that emergency fund because the next bill is bound to be higher, and I think we'll need it then.


God, I hope we sell our minivan soon. We really could use the lack of debt and the profit from it to cover these bills for my stupid intestines and my stupid scar tissue from my stupid tubal ligation.


ARGH!!!



[image information and source]



Please browse my eBay items. Thank you.

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin