Monday, January 14

Prayer Request

Big Girl has the MOST amazing CCD teacher this year. (No, not me...at our parish.) Her teacher has a real calling as a catechist, and this is really the first year that Big Girl is challenged at Sunday school. I am not tooting my own horn here, but when you're using Seton's religious education materials, it's not hard to learn way more about the faith than is possible in a one-hour class once a week for eight months.

But this year, Mrs. K has impressed me so greatly. When Big Girl misses a class, Mrs. K sends a note to our home and tells her that she missed her. The class has a prayer journal that they each have a turn with for a week. In it, they write prayers and read each other's intentions. Mrs. K really works to teach them the Faith - in depth, too - and she succeeds! I spoke to her shortly before Christmas and told her how much I appreciated her hard work, how much I loved the way Big Girl comes out of class all charged up. "I really needed to hear that," she answered.

Yesterday, though, Big Girl came out and said, "We need to pray for Mrs. K."

"Why's that, honey?" I asked.

"Because," she said, "her husband died in his sleep Friday night."

I'm not sure if her husband was ill or if this is unexpected. But Mrs. K was in class and teaching Sunday morning.

Please pray for the repose of her husband's soul, and for God to extend His peace to her in this most difficult time.




+Eternal rest, grant unto him, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May the souls of the faithful departed
through the mercy of God rest in peace.
Amen.+









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. Not just because of the death (may he rest in peace), but because of the powerful example of faith that dear woman is giving your daughter.

Today at Catholic Exchange, I write about "ordinary" Catholics would were influential in my own faith journey (though undoubtedly they would be surprised to learn they made much of a difference).

When we get to heaven, these "ordinary saints" are going to shine like the angels!

In the meantime, may the Blessed Mother stay close to this woman's grieving heart, secure in the hope that she and her husband will meet again in heaven.

Eternal rest grant to him, O Lord,
And may Your light shine upon him.
May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, by the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Thank you, Heidi. I told Big Girl that if Soccer Dad died on Friday, I would be too busy being a basketcase to teach CCD on Sunday.

Her teacher is definitely called to this! I'll be sure to look up your article today!

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin