Tuesday, January 15

College Choices...Not Too Far Away

Soccer Dad and I were dropping off my wedding ring at Kay Jewlers a couple weeks ago. (All three of the diamonds were loose, and one was loose enough to be popped out right then if the guy wasn't careful!) As the young man took down my information, he said he lived in the same town as we did. "Where abouts in ***?" he asked. When I told him that I lived near a particular school system, he made a face and said, "Yuck!"

I guess I looked rather perplexed about that comment, and he said, "I mean those schools. You shouldn't send your kids there. You should send them to *** Schools."

I smiled. "We homeschool," I said, "so I don't worry about it."

"Well, for high school, they should definitely go to ***."

I said with a bit more emphasis, "We homeschool."

"Well, at least they'll go to Virginia Tech," he said as he went back to writing information down.

By this time, Big Girl had wandered over and had been listening to our conversation. "I'm not going to Virginia Tech," she said emphatically. ("Good girl!" I was thinking.)

At this, then young man looked up at her and said, "Why?"

"I'm going to UCF," she stated plainly.

"University of Central Florida??!!?? What's there?"

"My daddy went there," was the short answer.

After that, Soccer Dad and I complimented her on her end of the conversation. She was not intimidated or shy about it, and she was also not rude. She managed to hold her ground without being fresh. (Something she has needed work on as of late.) Then we ticked off colleges that we knew we'd feel comfortable sending the girls to: UCF, Flagler (my alma mater), Steubeville, Christendom ... if it's not an alma mater of ours, we'd like to stick to authentically Catholic schools. The Cardinal Newman Society will be helpful on that front when the time comes.

And Christendom has just done something that will keep it on the list! Check out this story from LifeSite News:

Entire Student Body of Christendom College to March for Life

FRONT ROYAL, VA, January 14, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - This January 22, the entire student body of Christendom College, as well as members of the faculty and staff, will join the hundreds of thousands of pro-life American's at the 35th Annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. Christendom has cancelled classes for the day and the Student Activities Council has charted buses to transport over 400 people from its Front Royal, Virginia campus. ...

... Founded 30 years ago Christendom College has attended the March for Life as a community every year. Its students are active in pro-life work year round, leading prayerful protests at a Planned Parenthood Clinic in Washington once a week.


That is awesome!

Hat tip: Jean

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin