Monday, January 19

Fascinating Book


I'm reading a book called Shattered Dreams, an autobiography of a woman who grew up as a Fundamentalist Mormon and was the second of ten wives to her Fundamentalist husband.

I have to say that the whole Mormon/LDS doctrine is just very strange. And I feel horrible for this poor woman - she was just so brainwashed about "The Principal" that she just succumbed to it - even against her better judgement. (A brief history of Mormonism can also be read here.)

It's the kind of book that just sucks you in when you start it. Engrossing!

2 comments:

HEATHER said...

I think I saw the author on some news program talking about that whole mess in TX, because I remember that title. Sounds very interesting.
One thing I have noticed about Morman's is that they seem so cheerful and childlike in their acceptance of what "the prophet" said or tells them to do.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Sounds a lot like the book "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop that I just finished reading. It was tragic what happened to the women and children in that community.

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin