Monday, December 10

Wow. Just ... Wow.

We just watched Evan Almighty (thank you, library!), and I have to say it was one of the BEST movies I've seen all year! Right up there with Rattatouie. I had heard such good things about it (including from Barbara Nicolosi, who praised it on EWTN radio) that I decided to go ahead and watch it as a family, sight unseen.

First, let me tell you that since getting hooked on The Office, we have become huge fans of Steve Carel. Huge. He's hysterical, and the interviews I've seen with him do nothing to change my feelings about him. And then Soccer Dad reminded me that Evan Baxter (the Almighty Evan) was in Bruce Almighty, which I'd totally forgotten. So then I was more excited about it.

And another thing, I was VERY skeptical about this movie when I first saw previews for it. Knowing how Hollywood treats religion and religious people, I was positive that this would be another slam on those of us who believe in God.

Then I saw about a million previews while watching The Office, and I started to think it looked cute.

Then I heard Barbara Nicolosi talk about it, and about the director's conversion experience. She talked about the warm reception Christian reporters had given it, how they wondered how Tom Shadyac had pulled off making such a blatantly religious film. (He said if you make enough money for the studios, they'd let you make a movie about a water bottle.) She recommended it, saying it was appropriate even for kids as young as 7.

And on that one interview that I heard on EWTN, I knew I'd want to see it. Barbara, if you happen to have followed a Technorati link here and see this, I want to thank you for recommending this as a family film. There were two - only two - semi-questionable comments in the entire movie, and I think it went totally over my girls' heads (6 and 9).

I cannot recommend this movie enough. It is a total family film. It is absolutely perfect for children to watch. It is FUN, it is FUNNY, and it is done with absolute respect for people with religious beliefs. I'm telling you, don't even bother renting it. Just buy it outright. It's just nice, clean fun.

Hollywood, that's all we want. Nice, clean fun. Stuff I can bring my children to. Something sweet. Something innocent. Something uplifting.

Thanks for things like Evan Almighty, Rattatouie, Narnia, and Because of Winn Dixie. Keep 'em coming!

(BTW, Wikepedia has some fascinating facts about the movie.)




1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I resisted watching that movie for SO long because I hated "Bruce Almighty." (Jim Carrey is not a favorite actor of mine!) But this one was absolutely wonderful. The part where "God" is talking to "Evan's wife" in the restaurant was excellent.

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin