Thursday, December 6

Faith with a Sigh

Today is Saint Nicholas Day, and I did nothing special for it. I feel like a bad Catholic homeschooler because I did not have the children put shoes out. Heck, I usually fight with them to put them away! Why would I have them put them out on purpose!? I also have not discussed Saint Nicholas yet today, though I'm sure EWTN will come to the rescue with their children's hour that usually includes the lovely cartoon of the dear saint's life. (Believe it or not, I cry when I watch it.)



I have been keeping up with the Jesse Tree, though, and Soccer Dad has been doing the Bible readings from his hotel room this week. Thank God his travels are finished for the rest of the calendar year after Friday! It's hard when he's away because I miss him dearly. Part of what's so great about being married to him is that he's my best friend, and I truly enjoy hanging out with him. But that makes it more difficult when he has to travel because my best buddy is not here.



We've got Christmas lights up, which I actually turned on early this year, and a wreath on the door. The rest of the decorations will be waiting for Gaudette Sunday. Well, Gaudette Saturday, really. Or the day before Gaudette Sunday. (How many times can I type Gaudette in one paragraph? Gaudette. Five.) Whatever you'd call it. The actual Sunday (see? I avoided typing it again) will be spent wrapping presents for our Angel Tree at the parish. The gifts will go to children of inmates at the local prison.



But in the meantime, I am waiting. Oddly enough, Advent is a struggle for me this year. I know I need Confession. I know I need Mass. But I haven't been to Confession yet this Advent and I haven't attended extra Masses, though I do admit that it's a half-hour drive to get to a daily Mass, minimum. I could really use prayers.



On the other hand, I think that if I get outside of myself - my self-centered self - I will be able to do what I know I need to do: get closer to God. It's when we get outside of ourselves and think of others and do what we can to help them that we can get closer to God. And, even when we feel far away, it's good to know that He is really near. Always.









Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for me!






[image credits: Saint Nicholas, Advent candles, gift wrappers, Blessed Teresa]








No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin