Friday, December 7

Advent is Not for Preparing for Christmas



Really.

Barb, SFO Mom extraordinaire, pointed out this post by a minor friar, who tells us what we are really preparing for during Advent.



It's nothing new to rant about how the secular holiday of "Christmas" always ruins the observance of Advent. I even know a priest who says, provocatively, "I don't celebrate Christmas. I celebrate the Nativity of the Lord."

But even among us who claim to observe Advent faithfully, fighting the influence of the empty promises of advertising and the importunity of Christmas lights and giant inflatable Santa Clauses, I think even we often fail.


Please be sure to read the rest. Go on. I'll wait for you here.

Hi, again.

I'd heard this, but forgotten. And I'm ashamed. I remember clearly the beginning of the homily on this Sunday's Gospel, where Father Steven Oldes (now teaching in Boyton Beach at the seminary) commented that Saint John the Baptist's "brood of vipers" comments don't exactly sound like a Christmas card greeting.

But I had forgotten the rest of the homily, where he brought up the very point that Charles in New Haven brings up. We shouldn't forget that His birth has happened already, and we are awaiting His Second Coming. And Advent is for getting ready for that event.

Are you ready? I know I'm not, and I need to get myself ready.

Confession, anyone?


[image credits: Nativity (with explanation), Parousia]


2 comments:

Micki said...

Just had to thank you for all the work you put into getting these posts ready for the blog. I admire what you are doing. Keep it up.

Tony said...

We shouldn't forget that His birth has happened already

For us time-bound humans, yes. ;)

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin