Thursday, September 6

Overwhelmed

o·ver·whelm (ō'vər-hwělm', -wělm') Pronunciation Key tr.v. o·ver·whelmed, o·ver·whelm·ing, o·ver·whelms
1. To surge over and submerge; engulf: waves overwhelming the rocky shoreline.
2a. To defeat completely and decisively: Our team overwhelmed the visitors by 40 points.
2b. To affect deeply in mind or emotion: Despair overwhelmed me.
3. To present with an excessive amount: They overwhelmed us with expensive gifts.
4. To turn over; upset: The small craft was overwhelmed by the enormous waves.



American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source



I feel so overwhelmed at the things I need to pray about. I'm not talking about the usual things, everyday life things, that we'll pray about anyway. I'm talking about the drive-you-to-your-knees kinds of things. The stuff that makes you weepy in front of the children. The stuff that makes it hard to even talk to friends because of awkward situations and difficulties.

And I want to help, but the only thing I can do is pray. I can't help my aunt, who has an incurable cancer that she is struggling to beat. I can't do anything for my two friends who have lost their unborn babies in the last month. I can't do anything for Soccer Dad's cousin and his family, who are breaking apart. I can't do a damn thing for my friend whose husband has left her and the kids - only to take the children away and not let her talk to them. I can't do anything to help but pray.

And it is so scary. Damn, it's scary. It just makes me want to hole up and cry.

So I'll pray. And pray. And pray some more. And hang tight to the hem of Jesus' robe. And then pray some more.

Did I mention that this is all kind of scary?

Can you pray with me, please?

4 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Chris, have you considered joining the One Came Back blog so you can post these prayer requests there. Maybe that will help you. I'm praying for your intentions daily.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Christine, you got it. I will bring all of these intentions to Adoration and Mass this morning and lay them at the feet of Christ.
Sometimes it's hard to remember that if prayer is all we can do, it will be enough.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Your friends and family are lucky that they have you to pray for them. They will be in my prayers as well.

Anonymous said...

I've prayed too. Sometimes there is just so much to pray for that even that seems overwhelming.

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin