Wednesday, December 27

Tagged for the Devotions Meme

Wow. Tagged by Mary Vitamin for the Devotions Meme, I will now embarrass myself by revealing that I'm not as great as I make myself look sometimes. ;)

1. Favorite devotion or prayer to Jesus?

Jesus, give me a heart like Your Mother's! I find that when I'm frustrated (especially at Mass), this prayer helps me to refocus on Him.

2. Favorite Marian devotion or prayer?

I love the Rosary, though I often don't finish an entire one during the day. Any time I'm stressed, frightened, or even if I just am having trouble falling asleep, I start a Rosary. When I had a toothache and was terrified that I'd be losing a tooth (I'm not going to), I said my Rosary in the dentist's chair. Even had the beads out! (Sometimes, I use my fingers, and I am convinced that's why we have ten.) The dentist looked at my hands and said, "Oh, you're saying the Rosary. Where are you?" Then, "I don't think I could remember how to say one." I smiled and repeated what I remember some saint say about one good Hail Mary being worth a hundred so-so Rosaries. Made him smile, too.

3. Do you wear a scapular or medal?

Yes! When I got my first Scapular for First Communion, I had NO idea what it was for, and my father really couldn't explain it, either. When Big Girl was in first grade, I learned about sacramentals (God bless Seton!) and had myself and my two daughters imposed with the Scapular within a month. We all wear them, and we all wear a child-sized one that has a St. Benedict medal and a crucifix attached. Also, I got the most beautiful Celtic crucifix for Christmas from Hubby and the girls. I wear that whenever I can, too.

4. Do you have holy water in your home?

Yes, but I often forget to use it more. I have to get back into the habit of blessing the girls with it before bed.

5. Do you offer up your sufferings?

YES! I never knew I could do this until very recently. Imagine the souls I could have released from Purgatory if I'd known while I was pregnant! I had trouble remembering to do this for a while after I learned about it, so I asked my guardian angel to help me remember, which he does for me often. As a matter of fact, I had a headache last week and a nap and Excedrine did nothing. Suddenly, I remembered I should offer it up. Ten minutes later, no headache. I was actually grateful that I had the opportunity to offer it up. Funny, how that act changes your view of sufferings.

6. Do you observe First Fridays and First Saturdays?

First Saturdays, no. But I was doing very well with First Fridays. I couldn't tell you if I actually completed nine, though. I'd like to work this coming year on going to Mass more frequently, though, especially First Fridays. (Our co-op gets together those days.)

7. Do you go to Eucharistic Adoration? How frequently?

I do not go often. Sometimes, when I am at our parish on Wednesdays, when Adoration is going on from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m., I stop in for a few minutes. I do feel a desire to go more often, but it's hard to sign up when I have two little ones who don't want to sit for an hour. But when our parish does the 40 Hour Devotion after the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, I do get in there for about an hour. This year, Hubby and I went between Masses and brought Little Girl with us. That 40 minutes was VERY long for her, and she has trouble understanding it, even though she can tell you that Jesus is REALLY THERE in the Eucharist.

8. Are you a Saturday evening Mass person or Sunday morning Mass person?

Absolutely, without a doubt, Sunday Morning. We went to Saturday evening last week because of going to Midnight Mass on Sunday night, and might do it again this weekend, but it's a rarity to go Saturday for us. Besides, Big Girl has CCD on Sundays between Masses.

9. Do you say prayers at mealtime?

Yes, we do mostly say the old grace before dinner (at least). ("Bless us, O, Lord...") But I didn't grow up with it, and I tend to forget a lot.

10. Favorite Saint(s)?

Saint Peter, Saint Joseph, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary (patron saint, Confirmation name), Saint Therese

11. Can you recite the Apostles Creed by heart?

Yes. I, too, learned it late in life. When I said the Rosary, for a long time I said the Nicene Creed instead because it was all I knew.

12. Do you usually say short prayers (aspirations) during the course of the day?

Yes, sometimes I just cross myself or think a prayer - sometimes without words - about something I see or hear.

13. Where is your favorite place to pray?

Anywhere. I pray any time I think of it. But Mass might be my favorite. A nice, quiet Mass, just after Communion.

14. Bonus Question: When you pass by a automobile accident or other serious mishap, do you say a quick prayer for the folks involved?

Yup. We all cross ourselves any time we see an accident or see emergency workers or police with sirens on, headed somewhere.

15. Mary's bonus question: If you could visit any of Our Lady’s apparition sites, which one would you choose?

Lourdes. First place I ever knew that Mary appeared, and I've always wanted to go there.

Tagging...

Wow. This has been going round a bit. If you haven't been tagged, feel free to tag yourself and leave a link in the comboxes, please.

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin