Tuesday, May 27

Subway's Essay Contest

Regular Guy Paul says that Subway is holding an essay contest.  Only problem is, they're banning the largest group of parents who would actually make their kids participate: homeschoolers.

Their rules state:

Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted.

(In case you don't get the idea, they mention this twice on the front page, then again in the lengthier rules on the click-through.)

Well, I asked them at this feedback page what the deal with that is:

I was excited to see that Subway had an essay contest for children PK-12. I have two daughters in elementary school, and thought this would be a great idea for them. Alas, you are preventing homeschoolers from participating. I would like to know why Subway made the decision to ban homeschooled children from this contest. It doesn't make any sense, especially when you are allowing participation from parochial and private school students. Thank you in advance for your answer.

I will let you know if anyone answers me. Why not drop them a line yourself, homeschooling parents? (As always, be respectful. Of course, I doubt I need to tell you that, do I?)

(Paul's hat-tips include: Michelle Malkin and Home Educator Magazine)

Update: Michelle Malkin (whose link I clicked after posting this) says that a homeschooler got a response - a NICE one - from Subway. See her click-through for details.

Also, if you'd rather not go to Subway anyway, I'd recommend Jersey Mike's. WAY better subs there, with really excellent deli meats. (My sister used to frequent the original Jersey Mike's.)

4 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That's just wrong.
And what's up with allowing pre-K to enter? They can't even write! Find a reasonable grade range and allow all students in that range, regardless of the type of school.
They are not going to like the backlash they get because of this. Someone must have an agenda.
I'm curious about whether they are somehow tied up with the NEA.

Stacey said...

hahaha... I know some home schoolers that could use 5 grand worth of athletic equipment!

I'm a Quizno's girl, anyway...

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Closest Jersey Mike's to me is 20 miles away! (waaaaaaah!)

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Barb, closest one to me is nearly that far. Of course, I live outside of suburbia, so it's also farther than that for me to go to Best Buy for a monitor that hooks up to a Mac and PC, drive all the way home, and find out that it does NOT have a DVI cable as the saleskid told me after I specifically asked, at which point I discover that they don't carry it, so even if I had the time to drive back across town and buy it at full price because they won't discount it or make it free for me, they wouldn't be able to help me except to tell me to order it from Apple.

wow. did i just say all of that out loud?

Anyway, I'm about 20 minutes or so from a Jersey Mike's, too. But once in a while, it's worth it. I'm closer to Quizno's, but (a) I have never eaten there, and (b) I am partial to anything from NJ. Maybe we'll go to Jersey Mike's in Point Pleasant when I go back for my reunion in November.

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin