Wednesday, July 30

Why I Only Pray for PZ Myers

I'm sure you've already heard the horrible things that Professor Myers did to our Lord.  (Short version: He desecrated the Blessed Sacrament, posted pictures, bragged about it, and called us morons for being upset.  Long version: search online and get a barf bag.)  WARNING: EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE MATERIAL IS CONTAINED ON THAT BLOG, ESPECIALLY BY THE MANY COMMENTORS WHO ARE IN SUPPORT OF MYERS' ACTIONS.

My first thought, right after, "Oh, Jesus!  What did he DO to You?" was to pray for him.  A lot.  

No Catholic who loves the Lord and adores Him in the Blessed Sacrament would do anything but that.  Priests and other religious are calling for a day of fasting and penance in reparation.  This would be a good thing.  A VERY good thing.  Many people are saying that they will do so, and they are moved with Christian compassion to pray for this man's conversion and salvation.  Unkind words (no matter how readily they might pop into our heads and get pushed right back out again) are not said in general.  

But I have a particular reason that I'm not going to condemn Myers that is quite aside from Christian charity.  I know that in my past, I, too, have desecrated the Blessed Sacrament.  I've done so by receiving Him unworthily.  I was unaware that I was doing so, but it does not change the fact that I did it.  And, really, Christ is received unworthily all the time.  All it takes is the reception of the Blessed Sacrament - that which is the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord, Jesus Christ - with a mortal sin on your soul.  

I cannot even count the number of times I offended God in this way in my life.  Mostly unaware that I was doing so, which lessens the sin, but I did it nonetheless.  And I am NOT proud of it.  I am ashamed.  It hurts my heart, it hurts my soul, to know that I offended Jesus this way.  That my sins were the cause of the lashings on His back.  My sins were the cause of the thorns in His precious head.  My sins caused Him to be crushed beneath the cross when He fell.  And that by receiving Communion in a state of sin, I compounded it.  It's as if I walked up as He lay on the ground beneath the weight of the cross and I spit on Him.

It disgusts me to think I did that.  

There came a time, though, that I realized that I was in serious sin.  That I wasn't supposed to be receiving Communion.  That I compounded my offenses by accepting a Gift that I wasn't worthy to accept.

Thank God - thank Him! - for the gift of the Sacrament of Penance!  

There is hope for Professor Myers.  There is hope for his conversion.  There is great hope that he will be humbled - by God, not by men, for we haven't the power to do that - and seek reconciliation with the Lord.  You see, it's not Catholics that he's offended by his heinous acts.  It's God Himself.  Christ, the Lord.  Creator of all, including Professor Myers.  

And Professor Myers, much as he likes to deny it, is a child of God.  And it is the Lord's desire that not one of us is lost.  Because Professor Myers was created for the very same reason you and I were created.

1. Who made us?

God made us.

In the beginning, God created heaven and earth. (Genesis 1:1)

2. Who is God?

God is the Supreme Being, infinitely perfect, who made all things and keeps them in existence.

In him we live and move and have our being. (Acts 17:28)

3. Why did God make us?

God made us to show forth His goodness and to share with us His everlasting happiness in heaven.

Eye has not seen nor ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man, what things God has prepared for those who love him. (I Corinthians 2:9)



1 comment:

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Would be grateful if you would update to my new blog..many thanks..

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin