Friday, April 27

Contraceptive Mentality in Protestant Culture and Doctrine


I once had an argument on a public board about Protestantism and contraception with a women who is Lutheran. She would not believe me that until the 1930's, no mainstream religion accepted contraception as morally acceptable. Not one.

She said that her pastor never said anything about it, as if that proved anything. Sure, he's going to highlight in his sermon one Sunday the inconsistencies of the doctrines of the Lutheran church.

Anyhow...

This morning, I noticed that Insight Scoop (the blog for Ignatius Press) linked to an article that I'm going to be reading later, and I'll most likely pass it on to my NFP-teachin' friends. Here's the first paragraph, which Carl Olson highlights:


It is a reckless analyst who risks reopening sixteenth-century disputes between Roman Catholics and the Protestant Reformers. I do so in the interest of a greater good, but my purpose is not to say who was right or who was wrong. I would simply like to explore why the Protestant churches maintained unity with the Catholic Church on the contraception question for four centuries, only to abandon this unity during the first half of the twentieth century.


From the bit of skimming I've done so far, it looks like he gets right down to business and takes an honest look at the history of contraception and its acceptance in Protestant denominations. Quite interesting.

1 comment:

catholicandgop said...

I haven't read it, but in their bookstore HLI has a book called The Bible and Birth Control by Charles Provan, which is a protestant perspective on why the bible forbids contraception. Here's why HLI says about it, "A Protestant gives nine reasons why the Bible forbids contraception. A valuable reinforcement of the Catholic Church’s age-old teaching that contraception is evil. Includes anti-birth control quotes from 67 Protestant theologians, going back 400 years. Great for Protestants and Catholics alike! 97 pp".

Fr. Euteneuer has had this on his list of contraception resources since the Hannity incident.

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin