Sunday, June 3

So That's What They Look Like!

Our first Fall here in Virginia, I ordered a TON of bulbs to plant in the garden. After all those years in Florida, I felt deprived of daffodils, tulips, and grape hyacinth. In October 2003, I planted the more than 200 bulbs all over my yard. I thought that the Asian Lilies, since they were marked "For Naturalizing," were deer-resistant. Not so! The deer loved that I had a tall salad bar under the trees at the front of the property. How convenient that some of the lilies grow more than three feet tall! Now they didn't have to bend down!

However, I didn't like that my expensive, bought-from-Brecks-and-shipped-from-Europe flowers were being eaten every year. I saw about four of them bloom the first two years combined.

So I moved them last fall to a spot directly next to the house and behind a small water feature. The Blessed Virgin stands at the front of this garden. (You can see her back in a couple of the shots below.) I added to them the two Easter Lilies that Hubby and the girls bought for me. (Those are the white ones.) In place of the lilies, I planted daffodils, which the deer kindly leave alone.

This morning, I went out to Mass to find that the lilies are now blooming! Hooray! What a fantastic sight this is going to be!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin