Tuesday, March 6

I Read, I Saw, I Snagged

The Marriage Meme! Being married to Hubby is one of my favorite things about my life, so when I read this at R.C. Mommy, I snagged it up to play along.



Marriage Meme



1. Where/How did you meet? We met when we worked together at Maison Blanche, a department store. He worked in electronics, and I worked as a "floater," which basically meant that I was in whatever department needed help that day. I worked one shift with him, during which he insisted on calling me "honey" in spite of my repeated requests that he not do so. (I had a boyfriend.) When he wouldn't remember, I, in my oh-so-nice ways that I had at the time, threatened his ability to have children in the future. Wisely, he stopped. To this day he does not call my honey. (ha!)



I left that job after a short time, and we didn't catch up again until we took a physics class together (God's idea - I didn't know about the sign language class that was offered at the same time). He approached me after the second class and re-introduced himself. Not necessary. I remembered him, commented on his new glasses, etc. We became best friends (though his motives were not the same as mine - he wanted to marry me, and I still had the boyfriend in NJ), we hung out all the time, we went out to eat and to see movies several times a week. Always Dutch, mind you. Eventually, God put down my usual 2x4 and picked up the 6x6. I realized that I was in love with this guy. I broke up with the boyfriend, analyzed myself nearly to death, and accepted Hubby's offer for him to "take better care of me than J*** does." (First, though, I made him suffer for nearly a week.) Within about four days, I knew that his idea about marrying each other was a good one. :)



2. How long have you known each other? This August it will be 18 years. Is that right? Wow. Almost half my life. *happy sigh*



3. How long after you met did you start dating? 15 months. Unless you count all of those non-dates that suspiciously looked like dates. Then it's only a year.



4. How long did you date before you were engaged? 2 years. As a matter of fact, he proposed for our anniversary. But we'd been unofficially engaged for about a month or two. I had the dress, we'd booked the hall for the reception, and we'd already reserved the church.



5. How long was your engagement? 9 months. My grandmother said something about having a baby in between. It was a really strange comment. LOL!



6. How long have you been married? 13 1/2 years as of this last Saint Valentine's Day



7. What is your anniversary? August 14th



8. How many people came to your wedding reception? Oh, my goodness! I don't remember! I think we invited about 120.



9. What kind of cake did you serve? Chocolate cake with butter cream icing. Little daisies made of icing all over it, my bouquet and the bridesmaids' bouquets all around it on the table (more daisies). It was FABULOUS!!!



10. Where was your wedding? Wedding at Church of the Nativity, Lake Mary, FL. Reception at the American Legion in Sanford, FL.



11. What did you serve for your meal? Prime rib. I didn't get to eat much of it, though, since I hadn't eaten enough and was a bit nauseous during most of the reception.



12. How many people were in your bridal party? 3 bridesmaids, 3 groomsmen, a flower girl and a ring bearer.



13. Are you still friends with them all? No, we've lost touch with two of the groomsmen. Bridesmaids are 3-0, and the children were my cousins.



14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? Almost, but he was fortunately saved by his fit of laughter during our vows. (See picture below.)



15. Most special moment of your wedding day? Receiving the ring. Knowing at the end that I was finally married to Hubby. Oh, but I think the tops is the look on his face when he saw me, just before everyone stood up. He gasped, then settled into this amazing smile. I LOVE Hubby's smile!!



16. Any funny moments? Well, it's only partly funny, I guess. While I was in the bathroom trying not to throw up, Hubby's father, who was never at a loss for words, worriedly went up to my dad. "Is Christine okay?" he asked. Dad, who had actually just had someone check on me, said, "I don't know. I think it's your son's problem now. She was fine when I gave her to him a couple hours ago!" He then walked off, leaving my father-in-law speechless. I was fine eventually, and even ate a little of the prime rib. Oh, and cake. mmmmmm....chocolate cake!



17. Any big disasters? Only that bout of nausea. But it wasn't too bad, and the photographer stayed on - without charge! - until I felt better and he finished the shots he wanted to do.



18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Montego Bay, Jamaica! (Sandals ROCKS!)



19. How long were you gone? 6 days



20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? I would have eaten a peanut butter sandwich before getting dressed, even if the photographer had to wait. (He was 30 minutes earlier than he said he'd be!)



21. What side of the bed do you sleep on? As you look at the bed, I'm on the right. Though on vacations, I sometimes sleep on the opposite side. And we've switched sides since we got married, too.



22. What size is your bed? Queen



23. Greatest strength as a couple? We are best of friends. And because I started out as being just friends with Hubby, I never feel a need to put on some kind of act for him. I have never felt a tremendous need that he never see me without makeup or perfect hair, and I know that he loves me for who I am because I've never hidden the real me from him. Plus, we genuinely like to hang out together. He's so much fun, and we make each other laugh.



24. Greatest challenge as a couple? Ummm...I'll have to think about that. Maybe it's money. Like, we both kind of like spending it.



25. Who literally pays the bills? Me.



26. What is your song? "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack. (And I think that Celine Dion's version is AWFUL!! BLECH!)



27. What did you dance your first dance to? A slow dance? At the wedding, I think. Other dancing did occur at Pleasure Island, but I will not be sharing any more details on that.



28. Describe your wedding dress. Floor-length with big, poofy sleeves. Fitted bodice, large poofy skirt with a bow on the back. Chapel-length train, chapel-length veil. (See pictures for a better detail.)



(note: That last picture is of my Father-Daughter dance)

29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding? Mostly daisies, but with a few white roses in there to match the boutonnieres of the men.



30. Are your wedding bands engraved? What do they say? Nope, no engraving. We actually have channels in our bands, so there is only the back side of it. And it's a good thing we didn't, since I had my rings stretched when I gained weight after each girl, then cut back down when I lost it all.



Tags...if you feel so inclined, leave a message in the com box and tell us where your answers are.

2 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

How sweet that you two were best friends!! I may do this on Sunday.

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

Hello, I did your mem, you can read my answers here. I had fun reliving those early days. :)

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin