Wednesday, June 18

The Boston Three Party

This might be a sin, but I took GREAT pleasure in seeing the Lakers completely humiliated last night.  I really have a strong dislike for the Lakers (in general, not because they win a lot, or I'd not like the Celtics, either), and especially for Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson.  So when Paul Pierce said at halftime, "We're just going to keep the pedal to the metal in the second half," I was ecstatic!  And to see LA lose by 39 points was just plain fun!  

I don't think there's any other team I'd feel that way about, and there have been times when I've commented that there's no need to rub it in and blow them out when I see other games.  But last night, after hearing Kobe say in a previous round of the playoffs that he can "turn it on any time he wants," I just took great pleasure in seeing him demoralized in the game.  (I did have respect for Kobe before his legal problems, too.  It's not that I thought he was guilty of rape, but I was disgusted that he was cheating on his wife on a regular basis.)

About halfway through the fourth quarter, LA seemed to just plain stop trying.  Their defense, which had been struggling all night, became non-existent.  Their offense was sloppy and rushed.  No one stepped up to help Kobe, whose defenders were like white on rice with him all night long.  And when there were 3 1/2 minutes left and the Big Three (The Boston Three Party, as ESPN put it) sat down, even the Celtic reserves just had their way with the Lakers.  It was pathetic at the end.  And I loved it.

And who can't feel good for Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett, two real class acts?  Let's face it, Garnett did his time in Minnesota without complaint, has never said an unkind word about this former team (even when baited to do so about halfway through the season), and even said that his  Championship win was not only for Boston, but for his fans in Minnesota!  And Doc, congratulating the Lakers after the game, shaking hands with Kobe, standing on the sidelines with his son in the final minutes of the game?  What a really sweet man he is!  (I loved him when he coached my beloved Magic in Orlando, too.  I was sorry to see him go.)  The Celtics showed that it's not a "superstar" who wins the championship by carrying the team, it's a team who wins that championship together by being unselfish and doing what is best for the entire team.  Great numbers are one thing, but if one guy has fantastic numbers and the team loses, what good were those numbers?

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics!

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin