Thursday, December 24

Favorite Songs


Fox News has a little video up about their least favorite Christmas songs. But I'd rather go with something The Anchoress asked:

What is your favorite song(s) at Christmas, and why?

Here are my answers. And, yes, it's plural because how can you pick a favorite? It's like picking a favorite child!
  • "Silent Night" This is a beautiful piece, and it never fails to make me cry when I sing it at Midnight Mass. The third verse just melts my heart!

    Silent Night, Holy Night
    Son of God, Love's pure Light
    Radiant beams from Thy Holy Face
    With the dawn of redeeming Grace
    Jesus, Lord, at Thy Birth!
    Jesus, Lord, at Thy Birth!


  • "O, Holy Night" How can you not get chills when you hear them proclaim:

    Fall on your knees and hear the angels' voices!

  • "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" I love this song for one of the last verses because it reminds me of what we're celebrating. It sums up the beginning of the Gospel the way the Alleluia Chorus sums up the end:

    Christ by highest Heaven adored
    Christ, the Everlasting Lord
    Late in time, behold Him come!
    Offspring of the Virgin's womb
    Veiled in flesh, the Godhead see!
    Hail, the Incarnate Diety!
    Pleased, as Man, with men to dwell
    Jesus, our Emanuel!
    Hark! The herald angels sing!
    Glory to the newborn King!


  • "O Come, All Ye Faithful" I am tearing up right now as I think of when I'll sing the following tonight:

    Yea, Lord, we greet Thee
    Born this happy morning!
    Jesus, to Thee be all glory gi'en
    Word of the Father
    Now in flesh appearing
    O come, let us adore Him
    O come, let us adore Him
    O come, let us adore Him: Christ the Lord!


  • "The Little Drummer Boy" No, it's not a hymn as the rest of this list has been. But it's always made me cry, even as a child. When I was a little girl learning to play the piano, I learned this song. I played it with VIGOR! (Probably a bit more loudly than necessary or what is meant to be.) But I played it for Him, you see. I played my best for Him, and I'll bet He smiled at me, just like the boy in the song. This one is to remind us that no gift, when given to Christ with love, is too small for Him. He can take the simplest of gifts and magnify them.


  • We aren't called to great things, but to do small things with great love. This song, as cheesy as some people might think it is, reminds us of that. And, in these times of economic difficulties for many, it's a good thing to remember at Christmas. We aren't called to give great, big gifts. We're called to give good gifts. And the greatest Gift is Love, which is freely given to all. The love we give our children (as well as the gift of faith) is the greatest gift they receive. When the toys they get this year are long gone and in a trash heap, it's going to be the love you gave them that lives on. They can do without another DS game. They can do without the iPod or the computer. But they can't do without our love.



Tell me in the comments:

What are your favorite Christmas songs, and why?

Also, don't forget to vote in the poll on cookies. I'll put the recipe up after Christmas. Because it's never too late to make cookies. ;)

Merry Christmas, everyone.

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin