Wednesday, January 31

Books Purchased at the Library

Our library has lots of books for sale in the foyer of the building, and they draw me in without fail. I have picked up all kinds of great titles in the past (East of Eden, For Whom the Bell Tolls, etc.).

Today, I noticed that the pile was bigger than the last time I was there. I use the past tense "was" because I made it a little smaller. Here's a list of what I got today:


William Shakespeare, Four Tragedies: Romeo & Juliet, MacBeth, Hamlet, Julius Caesar ($0.10 - I think I have a couple of these, but I wasn't sure - I love Shakespeare!); George Eliot, Silas Marner ($0.10); Selected Poems of Robert Frost, Introduction by Robert Graves ($0.10); Hal Lindsey, The Late Great Planet Earth ($0.10 - purchased only for research purposes because we know a fallen-away Catholic who is in a Baptist Bible study that is using this to study End Times); Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights ($0.10); Sir Walter Scott, Ivanhoe ($0.10 for what I think is our second copy of this book); Susan Anthony: Girl Who Dared, by Helen Albee Monsell ($0.25 - this is a book from the old series Childhood of Famous Americans, copyright 1954 & 1960); and, last but not least, all because of Julie's posts, Giovanni Guareschi's Comrade Don Camillo, translated by Frances Frenaye ($0.25).

All in all, I came home with eight books in good to excellent condition, including a bunch of classics, all for $1.10.

Oh, and I also checked to see if certain books were still there, and I discovered that, for example, For Whom the Bell Tolls is still there, two copies, in fact. My copy that I purchased from the library was in pretty rough shape. A lot of these books are also donations made, and many are probably already on the shelves. So they are not purging classics necessarily, but they are purging copies in bad shape or multiples that they get as donations.

No comments:

Who are your heros?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin